Monday, November 5, 2007

Warsaw trip

Hello everyone I wrote this while traveling last week to Warsaw...

Ok today’s new thing: Tallin’s Airport! yeap I am traveling to Warsaw for a week, I will visit Mary and we are going to the Apocalyptica concert next Saturday :P you may be asking yourself how did he got one free week in his job? They fired him? Well nope, none of them, I didn’t sale my soul to the devil neither I just asked for five days and of course I will be working on Saturdays until the end of my life… actually four more days (I already worked last Saturday).

Anyway I am happy to visit Warsaw, I don’t know why but I really like that city my hypothesis is that I have good memories everywhere there and was the first European city in which I had the chance to live in, I went to many museums, walked a lot through the streets, went to Palaces and historic places, I had parties, met a lot of people, had my first European hair cut and tried several types of beers.

Right now I am in gate number five with a bunch of people waiting to get inside the airplane that is going to take us there…

... now I am back and this time in the LOT Airlines airplane at about 8Km above the sea level and according to the captain flying over Lithuania, and in my curious mind I am wondering why do we a cliché about good looking stewardess? I am not a frequent flyer but since I took the airplane in Barquisimeto I flew six times through Venezuela, Germany, Sweden, Finland and now Poland and I have never seen a good looking stewardess, it’s the same with nurses, I don’t remember one beautiful nurse in my life and I am from Venezuela! We are supposed to have gorgeous ladies everywhere, so my conclusion right now is that the cliché only exist because they are wearing nice uniforms… aaaaanyway we’re about to land in a few minutes and the stewardess wants me to turn off this…

… Ok this is me again now on another airplane this time on my way back to Estonia, I spent one really really good week in Warsaw and of course I was way too busy to sit down a few minutes to write something in my blog.

I am going to start saying this: I love Warsaw :), I always have a good time there because of the many places to visit there, friends and of course my girlfriend :P I went to new parks and squares and restaurants and also to same old places like the Pizza Hut in the center of the city or the old town and the Pierogeria (Pierogi restaurant).

This week we had the Halloween Party and Asia prepared a party at the flat with a lot of people, she was wearing a bumble bee costume like the ones in the No Rain video from Blind Melon, in my case I don’t have many options here so I took my Cardenales de Lara baseball shirt and dressed as a Regetonero-Baseball player-Malandro, and I was even wearing a diamond earring and some jewelry on my neck, and after eight beers (0.5L each one) I had a good time there, and the party was so good that even the Europeans were dancing really good, you can take a look at picasa if you want to check the details ;)

In Poland the first day of November is the Dead People’s Day and (almost) everything is closed that day because everyone visits the cemetery, is impressive, we went to the Wilanow cemetery at the south side of the city and the place was full of people bringing candles and flowers to their relatives and the place was full of these stuff, there is also a video about this in picasa.

Something we were expecting since we arrive to Europe is the winter time change, this event happened last Monday, right now Warsaw has a +5 hours difference with Barquisimeto and +6 with Tartu (instead of +6 and +7), but the funny thing is that nobody told us that, so Mary went to work on Monday at 7 instead of showing up there at 8, of course nobody was there. But the scariest thing about this time change is that our lives changed in two or three days, why? Well, you may think that living in Europe is hard because of the language, or because of the cold winter, or because you are away from your family, or because you are a foreigner, let me tell you that for me and Mary the worst thing is that we don’t have sun anymore! Or at least we have less sun right now because is setting at 16.30…

Sorry the airplane was about to land so I took a long break to pick up my luggage, buy some chocolate, take the bus from the airport to the bus station in Tallinn, have “lunch” (a really crappy hamburger) and right now I am on the bus on my way to Tartu.

The time is 16.38 and as I was telling you in the last paragraph in this moment the sun is setting and it looks like 18.40 in Venezuela, when we noticed that last Sunday it was shocking :S you feel like it is really late and that the day is ending and you should be on the bed in a couple of hours when actually you have half of the day left, yeap this is a cultural, weather or geographic shock, any of the words can apply right now.

But despite all the bad things you can imagine, add to the list that your skin gets soooooooooo dry that you must use creams to have a normal life, because of the cold and dry wind your lips will break and you will have blood in your mouth, the beautiful snow can be very slippery and many people break their legs because of this, despite all these stuff I am enjoying the experience a lot! Everything is new and after 24 years in the sunny Caribean it was the right time for a change ;)

If you want to see the pictures click here

1 comment:

eliza said...

1. I almost burst out laughing in front of my computer at work at your comments about stewardesses and nurses :D
2. Yes, winter in Poland is not the most fascinating and pleasant experience of one's life, I'm so happy I was able to escape at least once =P
Countryside full of snow looks amazing though, you'll see:)

good luck!